Derek and Wendy Ives are the two remaining Directors of a Company that was formed in the Spring of 2011 under the leadership of the late Johaan van der Merwe. In 2011 the Golf Course, Club House and Cafe were in need of substantial upgrade as the signs of deterioation and neglect were certainly evident.
Since 2011 a number of significant changes have been made to both the Golf Course and Clubhouese which has made the facilities in the Cafe a welcome habitat for both golfers and users of the park.
All -comers including dog wakers are made welcome in the warm cosy atmosphere. It has become a regular meeting place for people to enjoy a hot or cold drink with something to eat in-between their game of golf or their visit to the Park. On a warm day they can sit on the verandar to consume their refreshments while taking in the scenery or watching the efforts of the golfers.
Derek and Wendy Ives. and the spirit of (The Late) Johann van der Merwe,
The official opening of the Henry Cotton designed course in 1966
The first course on this site was built in 1896. Sadly in 1915 the Surrey Agricultural Committee commandeered part of the course resulting in the closure of nine of its 18 holes. All for a pricely sum of £500 in compensation. Sadly the original club was closed in 1920.
Golf returned to the park in 1934. A nine hole course was started up by Sir Edward Perceval and was locally known as the 'Artisan Golf Course' being primarily for the use of beginners and local golfers who did not have the means to join an expensive private members club.
In July 1942 the War Agricultural Committee surveyed the park and decided that all but 50 acres of the park needed to be ploughed up for farming purposes. Unfortunately this included the 'Artisans Golf Course'.
A new nine hole par 3 golf course designed by the three times open champion, Sir Henry Cotton, commenced construction in 1964. The course was open for play in 1966 and was originally completely fenced because of numerous cattle that were grazed in the park. Most of the fencing is gone and the course has matured to become what we believe is one of the finest par 3 courses in the country.
Farnham Park Golf Club
The course and cafe is OPEN.
Golf Course 0800-1400 daily
Cafe 0900-1400 Weekdays
Our dress code is reasonably relaxed but fully enforced and simply comprises the wearing of of flat shoes, neat trousers or shorts (neat jeans are acceptable, but no trendy holes or rips) and shirts with either a collar or sleeves (Tee shirts and polo shirts are fine). Vests and bare chests are totally unacceptable.
Please note that the shirt ruling also applies to ladies